It's the first Tuesday of the Month, so it's time again for another installation of quilt block mania block!
August's theme was Back to School and we used this palette from Design Seeds.
So I came up with this simple but fun 12" Pointy Pencil Block! This block is simpler than it looks and requires no templates at all!
I whipped up this adorable yellow pencil version and added a border to get a 15" block.
I decided to put a border on the left and top side to make it a 15" mini quilt. Then I used some Aurifil Canary Yellow (2120) thread to quilt some matchstick lines.
12" BLOCK TUTORIAL (finished)
- Please read through all instructions before beginning.
- Press all seams open (or in preferred direction) unless specified.
- Seam allowances are 1/4" unless specified.
- RST = Right Sides Together
- A 12½ square ruler is recommended for accurately trimming the block.
- This includes the block only. If you would like to make a 15" block, you will need two additional pieces of FABRIC A. See the MINI QUILT project below for more details.
Cut as directed and label each cut with letter/number in the [bracket].
From FABRIC 1, cut:
(1) 7" square [A1]
From FABRIC B, cut:
(2) 2¾″ × 12″ strips [B1]
From FABRIC C, cut:
(1) 4½″ × 14″ strip [C1]
From FABRIC D, cut:
(1) 6½″ square [D1]
From FABRIC E, cut:
(1) 3½″ square [E1]
1. Prepare the A1 and D1 squares by cutting each in half diagonally.
2. Using a fabric marking tool, prepare the E1 block by marking a line from one corner to the opposite corner on the wrong side of the fabric.
BLOCK ASSEMBLY DIRECTIONS
1. Use E1 square to create the triangle pencil tip on the corner of the D1 triangle using the Stitch and Flip Method.
2. Lay out (2) B1 and (1) C1 strips as shown to the right, making sure the left sides are lined up evenly. Sew together to create the pencil body.
3. Sew the pencil tip (from step 1) to the left side of the pencil body (from step 2).
4. Sew (1) A1 triangle on the top and the bottom of the pencil body.
5. Starting at the pencil tip corner, use a ruler to trim the block to 12½″ square.
6. Your “POINTY PENCIL” block now complete! Finish as desired. Share your finished quilt on social media!
PROJECT IDEA: 15″ MINI QUILT
To add borders on the left and bottom side for a 15" finished block, follow these directions.
ADDITIONAL FABRIC NEEDED:
- (1) 3½″ × 12½″ [A2]
- (1) 3½″ × 15½″ [A3]
How great of a back to school gift would this be? Oooooooohhhh....I think a tote bag is totally in my future! What would you make with this block?
Until later, happy sewing!
Here are all the other blocks in the Quilt Block Mania Back to School Series:
Crayons by Slice of Pi Quilts
Lockers by Powered by Quilting
Math Problem by Pretty Piney
Chalk Board by Inquiring Quilter
Stack of Books by Carolina Moore
Pointy Pencil Block by Sew Brainy
Geometry by Duck Creek Mountain Quilting
Pencils by Quilting Room with Mel
School Bus by Orange Blossom Quilt
Book with Animal by Seams to be Sew
Stack of Textbooks by Quilted Diary
Shades of the Sun by Charisma Horton
Basketball by Devoted Quilter
Apples by Perkins Dry Goods
Box of Crayons by ScrapDash
Apple with leaf by Blockofthemodotcom
Crayons by Off the Wall Quilt
School Time Schoolhouse by Quilt Moments
School House by Utah Quilt Appraiser
Pencil by True Blue Quilts
Owl by The Whimsical Workshop
Calculator by Quilt Fabrication
Crayons by Linda B Creative
Applique Computer by DooHikey Designs
Modern Apple by Cotton Street Commons
Glue by Quilting Mod
School Girl's Puzzle by Sew on the Go
Snack by Quiltfox Design
Backpack by Oh Kaye Quilting
Math Signs by Patti's Patchwork
Bookworm by Appliques Quilts and More
Backpack by Tacy Gray
Schoolhouse by From my Carolina Home
Girl's Favorite by Blue Bear Quilts
Origami Paper Plane by Amarar Creacions
Show up and Shine! by SewJoy Creations
School House with Children by Aunte Ms Quilts
I am a little late to the party and just found Quilt Block Mania. Thank you for continuing to offer this easy, and very cute block for free! I’m picturing a quilt of colored pencils. : )
I love this block – and it looks so great in yellow! I love that you have it quilted and bound as a mini quilt as well!
Love the pencil! Thank you for the block.
what a fun block. thank you