Blocks and Stars Remix - Jumbo Blocks Rock #12
It's the final month 12 the JUMBO BLOCKS ROCK series!
For some fun in 2021, I picked out (12) traditional style blocks, gave them a modern twist, and then upsized them into 18" blocks. Once a month, I will post the free tutorial for one block here on my blog for everyone to make!
BLOCK 12 - BLOCKS AND STARS REMIX
This month I transformed a traditional Blocks and Stars block. I removed the Square in Square blocks on the edges and replaced them with points. I like the way it lightens up the block!
This is an example of what both blocks would look like in a 72" quilt.
BLOCK #12 TUTORIAL
- Please read through all instructions before beginning.
- Seam allowances are 1/4" unless specified.
- WOF = Width of Fabric; pattern assumes a minimum of 42"
- RST = Right Sides Together
- F8 = Fat Eighth Precut (9" × 21")
- FQ = Fat Quarter Precut (18" × 21")
- 1/4 yard cut = 9" × 42"
- HST = Half Square Triangle
- QST = Quarter Square Triangle
- Press all seams open (or in preferred direction) unless specified.
This block pattern uses (4) accent fabrics [FABRIC A] and (1) background fabric [FABRIC B]. Below are the requirements to make ONE 18" BLOCK.
NOTE - If you would like to make a SCRAPPY VERSION of this block, just use the exact quantities and sizes of fabric pieces listed below in the cutting directions.
From FABRIC A1, cut:
- (2) 7½" squares
From FABRIC A2, cut:
- (1) 5½" square
From FABRIC A3, cut:
- (1) 4¾" square
From FABRIC A4, cut:
- (4) 3½" squares
From FABRIC B1, cut:
- (2) 7½" squares
- (1) 5½" square
- (2) 4¼" squares
- (4) 3½" × 6½" rectangles
- (4) 3½" squares
You can use these FABRIC B1 cutting charts as a guide. Note that you will need an exact FQ or 1/4 yard cut in order to get all the pieces needed.
PART 1 - MAKING THE CENTER SQUARE IN SQUARE BLOCK
Using the (4) B1 pieces and (1) 4¾" A3 square, you will create a SQUARE IN SQUARE BLOCK by the steps 1-4 below.
1. Prepare the (2) 4¼" Background Fabric B1 squares by cutting them in half diagonally in half to make (4) triangle pieces.
💡 TIP - Before beginning, fold and iron a small crease in the middle of the (4) triangle pieces and in the middle of each side of the A3 square, as shown by the red dotted line. Before sewing the triangle pieces to the sides of the square in the steps below, line up the creases. This is an easy way to make sure all pieces are centered.
2. First, align the long side of (1) triangle piece RST to both the left and right edge of the A3 square. Sew together by stitching ¼" away from the edge. Flip and press triangle pieces open, then trim off the very tips of the triangles so they are even with the top and bottom edges of the square. This helps to reduce unnecessary fabric bulk.
3. Next, align the long side of (1) triangle piece RST to both the top and bottom edge of the square. Sew together by stitching ¼" away from the edge. Flip and press the triangle pieces open.
4. Trim the block to 6½" square by positioning the ruler so the points of the green diamond are about ¼" away from the edge (see the red markings on the diagram below).
💡 TIP - A 6½" square ruler is the easiest tool to use here because you can trim all four sides at once. However, you can use a larger ruler to trim two sides at a time. Before cutting, use your ruler to check where all your diamond points fall. They may not be exactly perfect, but try to center them inside a 6" square area of the ruler the best that you can so you have ¼ seam allowance on the other edge of the point.
PART 2 - MAKING THE CORNER UNITS
5. Create HSTs using the 4 at a time method. Pair (1) 5½" A2 square and (1) 5½" B1 square RST. Stitch a scant 1/4" around the edge of the squares. Cut the squares diagonally on each side. Press the (4) HSTs with seams open and trim to 3½".
6. For each center edge unit, you will be using (1) 3½" A4 square to create a point on a corner of (1) 3½" × 6½" B1 rectangle using the "Stitch and Flip" method. Before beginning, prepare all (4) 3½" A4 squares by marking a diagonal line on the wrong side of the fabric using a fabric marker.
7. Pair (1) 3½" A4 square RST on the top right of (1) 3½" × 6½" B1 rectangle as shown below. Stitch on the line, trim 1/4" on the outside of the line, flip triangle over, and press seam open.
8. Sew (1) 3½" B1 square to the RIGHT side of (1) HST from STEP 1 as shown below. Press seams open.
9. Sew one unit from STEP 3 to the bottom of that unit as shown below. Press seams open.
10. Repeat STEPS 7-9 to create a total of 4 CORNER UNITS.
PART 3 - MAKING THE CENTER EDGE UNITS
11. Cut the (2) 7½" A1 and (2) 7½" B1 squares diagonally in both directions into FOUR small triangles.
12. Sew (2) A1 and (2) B1 triangles together as shown below. Trim the QST unit to 6½" square.
13. Repeat STEP 12 to create a total of 4 QST units.
PART 4 - BLOCK CONSTRUCTION
14. Lay out the CENTER UNIT, the (4) CORNER UNITS, and the (4) CENTER EDGE UNITS as shown below. Note that the corner blocks are each rotated differently.
15. Sew the (3) units in each row together. Press open.
16. Sew the (3) rows together. Press open.
17. Your BLOCK AND STARS REMIX block is now complete! Trim to 18½" square if needed.
If you'd like to turn your block into a pillow, check out THIS POST on sewing an envelope pillow backing.
Until later, happy sewing!
Find the other blocks in the #JumboBlocksRock here:
- Block 1 - Antique Tile Remix
- Block 2 - Maple Star Remix
- Block 3 - Amish Star Remix
- Block 4 - Salem Star Remix
- Block 5 - Sunflower Star Remix
- Block 6 - Boxed Basket Remix
- Block 7 - Illinois Diamond Remix
- Block 8 - Variable Star Remix
- Block 9 - Hidden Star Remix
- Block 10 - Honeymoon Diamond Remix
- Block 11 - Nine Patch Pinwheel Remix
- Block 12 - Blocks and Stars Remix