Variable Star Remix - Jumbo Blocks Rock #8
It's month 8 of the JUMBO BLOCKS ROCK series!
For some fun in 2021, I picked out (12) traditional style blocks, gave them a modern twist, and then upsized them into 18" blocks. Once a month, I will post the free tutorial for one block here on my blog for everyone to make!
BLOCK 8 - VARIABLE STAR REMIX
This month I took the traditional Variable Star quilt block and just gave the corners a bit of attitude and switched up some of the colors.
This is an example of what both blocks would look like in a 72" quilt.
BLOCK #8 TUTORIAL
- Please read through all instructions before beginning.
- Seam allowances are 1/4" unless specified.
- WOF = Width of Fabric; pattern assumes a minimum of 42"
- RST = Right Sides Together
- FQ = Fat Quarter Precut (18" × 21")
- Press all seams open (or in preferred direction) unless specified.
This block pattern uses (5) accent fabrics [FABRIC A] and (1) background fabric [FABRIC B]. Below are the requirements to make ONE 18" BLOCK.
NOTE - If you would like to make a SCRAPPY VERSION of this block, just use the exact quantities and sizes of fabric pieces listed below in the cutting directions.
From FABRIC A1, cut:
(1) 7½" square
From FABRIC A2, cut:
(1) 7½" square
From FABRIC A3, cut:
(1) 7½" square
From FABRIC A4, cut:
(1) 10" square
From FABRIC A5, cut:
(4) 3½" squares
From FABRIC B1, cut:
- (1) 10" square
- (1) 7½" square
- (1) 6½" square
PART 1 - MAKING THE CORNER UNITS
1. Create HSTs using the 4 at a time method. Pair the A4 and B1 10" squares RST. Stitch a scant 1/4" around the edge of the squares. Cut the squares diagonally on each side. Press the (4) HSTs with seams open and trim to 6½".
For each corner unit, you will be using (1) 3½" A5 square to create a triangle on the B1 side of the A4/B1 HST using the "Stitch and Flip" method.
2. Mark a diagonal line across the wrong size of the (4) 3½" A5 squares with a fabric maker.
3. Pair (1) 3½" A5 square and (1) 6½" A4/B1 HST RST as shown below, so the A5 square is on the B1 corner and the marked line is showing. Stitch on the line, trim 1/4" on the outside of the line, flip triangle over, and press seam open.
4. Repeat STEP 3 to create a total of 4 CORNER UNITS.
PART 2 - MAKING THE CENTER EDGE QST UNITS
5. Cut the 7½" A1, A2, A3, and B1 squares diagonally in both directions into FOUR small triangles.
6. Sew (1) small A1, A2, A3, and B1 triangles together as shown below. Trim the QST unit to 6½" square.
7. Repeat STEP 6 to create a total of 4 QUARTER SQUARE TRIANGLE units.
PART 3 - BLOCK CONSTRUCTION
8. Lay out the 6½" B1 CENTER SQUARE, the (4) CORNER UNITS, and the (4) CENTER EDGE QST UNITS as shown below.
9. Sew the (3) units in each row together. Press open.
10. Sew the (3) rows together. Press open.
11. Your VARIABLE STAR REMIX block is now complete! Trim to 18½" square if needed.
If you'd like to turn your block into a pillow, check out THIS POST on sewing an envelope pillow backing.
Until later, happy sewing!
Find the other blocks in the #JumboBlocksRock here:
- Block 1 - Antique Tile Remix
- Block 2 - Maple Star Remix
- Block 3 - Amish Star Remix
- Block 4 - Salem Star Remix
- Block 5 - Sunflower Star Remix
- Block 6 - Boxed Basket Remix
- Block 7 - Illinois Diamond Remix
- Block 8 - Variable Star Remix
- Block 9 - Hidden Star Remix
- Block 10 - Honeymoon Diamond Remix
- Block 11 - Nine Patch Pinwheel Remix
- Block 12 - Blocks and Stars Remix