Sunflower Star Remix - Jumbo Blocks Rock #5
It's month 5 of the JUMBO BLOCKS ROCK series!
For some fun in 2021, I picked out (12) traditional style blocks, gave them a modern twist, and then upsized them into 18" blocks. Once a month, I will post the free tutorial for one block here on my blog for everyone to make!
Here is the tutorial for the Salem Star Remix Block from April in case you missed it.
BLOCK 5 - SUNFLOWER STAR REMIX
This month I took one version of a traditional Sunflower quilt block and just made the inner square the same as the background color. It's made up of pretty simple pieces so I just went with it!
This is an example of what both blocks would look like in a 72" quilt.
BLOCK #5 TUTORIAL
- Please read through all instructions before beginning.
- Seam allowances are 1/4" unless specified.
- WOF = Width of Fabric; pattern assumes a minimum of 42"
- RST = Right Sides Together
- FQ = Fat Quarter Precut (18" × 21")
- F8 = Fat Eighth Precut (9" × 21")
- Press all seams open (or in preferred direction) unless specified.
This block pattern uses (4) accent fabrics [FABRIC A] and (1) background fabric [FABRIC B]. Below are the requirements to make ONE 18" BLOCK.
NOTE - If you would like to make a SCRAPPY VERSION of this block, just use the exact quantities and sizes of fabric pieces listed below in the cutting directions.
From FABRIC A1, cut:
(2) 7" squares
From FABRIC A2, cut:
(1) 3½" × 26", subcut:
- (4) 3½" × 6½" rectangles
From FABRIC A3, cut:
(1) 7½" square
From FABRIC A4, cut:
(1) 5½" square
From FABRIC B1, cut:
- (1) 7½" squares
- (1) 6½" squares
- (1) 5½" squares
- (8) 3½" squares
PART 1 - MAKING THE CORNER UNITS
1. Use (1) 3½" B1 square to create a triangle on the edge of (1) 3½" × 6½" A2 rectangle using the "Stitch and Flip" method.
2. Mark a diagonal line across the wrong size of the (4) 3½" squares with a fabric maker.
3. Pair the B1 square RST on the right edgevof the A2 rectangle. Stitch on the the diagonal line. Trim 1/4" on the outside of the diagonal line. Flip triangle over and press seams open.
4. Create HSTs using the 4 at a time method. Pair the A4 and B1 5½" squares RST. Stitch a scant 1/4" around the edge of the squares. Cut the squares diagonally on each side. Press the (4) HSTs with seams open and trim to 3½".
5. Sew (1) 3½" B1 square and (1) A4/B1 HST together in the orientation shown below. Then sew (1) unit from STEP 2 on the bottom of that unit.
6. Repeat STEP 5 to create a total of 4 CORNER UNITS.
PART 2 - MAKING THE CENTER EDGE QST UNITS
7. Cut the 7½" A3 and B1 squares diagonally in both directions into FOUR small triangles.
8. Cut the (2) 7" A1 squares diagonally in both directions into TWO large triangles each.
9. Sew (1) small B1 and (1) small A3 triangle together as shown below. Then sew (1) large A1 triangle to the bottom of that unit. Trim the QST unit to 6½" square.
10. Repeat the process to create a total of 4 QUARTER SQUARE TRIANGLE units.
PART 3 - BLOCK CONSTRUCTION
11. Lay out the 6½" B1 CENTER SQUARE, the (4) CORNER UNITS, and the (4) CENTER EDGE QST UNITS as shown below.
12. Sew the (3) units in each row together. Press open.
13. Sew the (3) rows together. Press open.
20. Your block SUNFLOWER STAR REMIX block is now complete! Trim to 18½" square if needed.