Maple Star Remix - Jumbo Blocks Rock #2
Welcome to month 2 of my JUMBO BLOCKS ROCK series!
For some fun in 2021, I picked out (12) traditional style blocks, gave them a modern twist, and then upsized them into 18" blocks. Once a month, I will post the free tutorial for one block here on my blog for everyone to make!
BLOCK 2 - MAPLE STAR REMIX
For my second block, I used the 12" MAPLE STAR block. To jazz it up, I made the center the same color as the background. Then I added some half square triangles on the outer edges and changed the squares to triangle corners.
This is an example of what both blocks would look like in a 72" quilt.
BLOCK #2 TUTORIAL
- Please read through all instructions before beginning.
- Seam allowances are 1/4" unless specified.
- WOF = Width of Fabric; pattern assumes a minimum of 42"
- HST = Half Square Triangle
- RST = Right Sides Together
- FQ = Fat Quarter Precut (18" × 21")
- F8 = Fat Eighth Precut (9" × 21")
- Press all seams open (or in preferred direction) unless specified.
This block pattern uses (4) accent fabrics [FABRIC A] and (1) background fabric [FABRIC B]. Below are the requirements to make ONE 18" BLOCK.
The fabrics I used for this version were Kona Cotton solids in White, Nectarine, Mango, Pool, and Cyan.
NOTE - If you would like to make a SCRAPPY VERSION of this block, just use the exact quantities and sizes of fabric pieces listed below in the cutting directions.
From FABRIC A1, cut:
(1) 10" square
From FABRIC A2, cut:
(1) 4" × 16", subcut:
- (4) 4" squares
From FABRIC A3, cut:
(1) 3½" × 26", subcut:
- (4) 3½" × 6½" rectangles
From FABRIC A4, cut:
(1) 3½" × 14", subcut:
- (4) 3½" squares
From FABRIC B1, cut:
(1) 10" square
(1) 7½" square
(1) 6½" square
PART 1 - MAKING CORNER UNITS
1. First, create the (4) corner HSTs using the 4 at a time method. Pair the A1 and B1 10" squares RST. Stitch a scant 1/4" around the edge of the squares. Cut the squares diagonally on each side. Press the (4) HSTs with seams open and trim to 6½".
2. Next, use (1) 3½" A4 square to create a triangle on the edge of (1) A1/B1 HST using the "Stitch and Flip" method.
3. Mark a diagonal line across the wrong size of the 3½" squares with a fabric maker. Stitch on the the diagonal line.
4. Trim 1/4" on the outside of the diagonal line. Flip triangle over and press seams open.
5. Repeat STEPS 1-2 to make a total of (4) corner units.
PART 2 - MAKING THE CENTER EDGE UNITS
6. First, create (4) Flying Geese units using the "No Waste" method with (4) 4" A2 squares and (1) 7½" B1 square. Pair the B1 and (2) A2 squares RST as shown below so the 4" squares are in opposite corners. Mark a diagonal line across the wrong size of the 4" squares with a fabric maker. Stitch a line 1/4" on either side of the diagonal line.
7. Cut apart on the diagonal. Flip triangles over and press seams open. You will end up with TWO of these partial geese units.
Note - Pressing the seams open in the back will help the final flying geese unit lay more flat and be less bulky.
8. Using ONE of the partial geese units from STEP 5, place (1) 4" A2 square RST in the remaining corner and mark a diagonal line across the wrong side. Stitch a line 1/4" on either side of the diagonal line.
9. Cut apart on the diagonal. Flip triangles over and press seams open. Trim to 3½" × 6½" rectangles. Repeat with the other partial geese unit from step 5 to yield a total of (4) flying geese units.
10. Next, lay out (1) Flying Geese unit and (1) 3½" × 6½" A3 rectangle as shown below. Sew together and press seams open.
11. Repeat STEP 8 to make a total of (4) CENTER EDGE UNITS.
PART 3 - BLOCK CONSTRUCTION
12. Lay out the 6½" B1 CENTER SQUARE, the (4) CORNER UNITS, and the (4) CENTER EDGE UNITS as shown below.
13. Sew the (3) units in each row together. Press open.
14. Sew the (3) rows together. Press open.
15. Your block MAPLE STAR REMIX block is now complete! Trim to 18½" square if needed.
I decided to quilt this block up as a little wall hanging using a double line grid pattern. I have a tutorial for that pattern HERE along with a cute pillow version of this block!
What color would you make this block in? I can't wait to see all the different versions! Next month I'll have another block and we'll be making an Economy block!
Until later, happy sewing!
Find the other blocks in the #JumboBlocksRock here:
- Block 1 - Antique Tile Remix
- Block 2 - Maple Star Remix
- Block 3 - Amish Star Remix
- Block 4 - Salem Star Remix
- Block 5 - Sunflower Star Remix
- Block 6 - Boxed Basket Remix
- Block 7 - Illinois Diamond Remix
- Block 8 - Variable Star Remix
- Block 9 - Hidden Star Remix
- Block 10 - Honeymoon Diamond Remix
- Block 11 - Nine Patch Pinwheel Remix
- Block 12 - Blocks and Stars Remix